Wednesday 11 July 2007

Omar

The title of this post may well have you asking, "Who is Omar?" Well, curious reader, let me briefly explain.


Omar is one of the touts who have been persistantly asking us to visit their shops here in Chefchaouen (in this case, a rug and blanket shop, the speciality here in the Rif). He's managed to bump into us every day, and every day we've told him we can't visit his shop just now, but will have a look tomorrow.

After he bumped into us this afternoon on our way to the hammam (commenting, after being told that I'd already been in the morning, "You look very clean!"), Tova and I decided that I should visit his shop/factory just so that he'd leave us alone. As it happened, he accompanied us to the hammam, and then accompanied me to his shop after we had dropped Tova off (just to make sure I didn't run away).

Along the way, I was regaled with information about all the rugs and carpets at his shop/factory (which was, he kept assuring me, "just around the corner"), as well as (once we got into the more winding streets of the medina) about his marijuana farm located somewhere in the surrounding hills. I kept telling him that I would only be having a look at the rugs and would not buy anything, as we didn't have any money for rug shopping. His response? "Don't worry, I make you the good price - you can choose big, medium, or small - whatever you like - and to look is free".

With that assurance, we arrived and I was asked to be seated whilst a plethora of carpets and rugs were placed before me. Needless to say, the merchandise was amazing (see photo above), but I managed to resist and haven't bought any (yet). However, my disinterestedness is a fantastic bargaining tool, should I decide to go back for another look...

No comments: